Thursday 8 March 2012

Brake Cleaning & Adjusting (+ Fluid Replacement)

All cleaned up

Master cylinder components
Since I couldn't get the backing plate off to replace the wheel bearings (without resorting to serious violence), I had to remove the brake lines and drain the system. No big deal, because I wanted to replace the fluid anyway. Once everything was cleaned and reinstalled, bleeding the air out of the lines took way longer than I thought it should. It didn't seem to build any pressure to push the air out, and I thought the master cylinder was shot. I took it apart and everything looked OK, so I put it back together and kept trying. After pumping the master cylinder with a screwdriver and cracking the bleed screws over and over and over, air slowly started to escape. It seemed like the master cylinder needed some back pressure in the lines before it would start pulling the new fluid in. It all worked in the end, (with lots and lots of pumping). Everything is back together and the adjusters are set.

No comments:

Post a Comment