Thursday 29 December 2011

Broken Idler Gear Shaft - Solution

Solution: I had a machinist friend make a new shaft with extra nubs on each end, 8mm OD x 12mm. There were pilot holes in the bottom of each broken boss measuring 7.5mm OD. (See previous pictures). I used a collar with a 12mm OD (size of the shaft) and 8mm ID, clamped the collar into the broken boss, and used an 8mm hand reamer to open up the holes and adjust the fit of the new shaft. The collar kept everything in line and the engine case slides on perfectly. Now let's see if it breaks again! I don't know the original cause of the broken castings, as the starter clutch is smooth and the gears all look good. (??)

1 comment:

  1. I did this same repair back in 2006, except I drilled the case and cover and reemed it to 5/8 since that is what I had. Been flawless ever since. This is a problem on these wheelers, mine is a 1996, and I have repaired a 2001 as well. You know the break is coming when you shut off the machine and hear the gears turning then the bang, eventually it breaks the case.

    Good fix, like minds think alike

    ReplyDelete