Tuesday 28 February 2012

More Issues... Solved!

I guess I jumped to conclusions. 

After letting the engine run for a while, (probably 15 minutes), the smoky exhaust pretty much went away. I did a compression test once everything was warm and came up with good results. 135 psi. So I guess everything is OK. The smoke could have been a result of the top end rebuild. I thought I had already ran the engine enough to burn off the oil, but maybe not. I suppose the smoky exhaust could also just be caused by the cold temperatures (-5C in my garage) and the cylinder/piston having a loose fit until everything gets really warm. I'll start it up again on a cold day and see how smoky it is.

I also checked out the reverse issue more closely and found that it was just a sticky cable. The spring wasn't returning the lever all the way back, so the reverse switch thought that the knob was still turned. The cable is lubed up and now it works perfectly. Now you have to hold the knob while shifting down to get into reverse. You still don't have to apply the brakes, but that may not have been the original procedure either. (?)

Now the only things left to fix are the front wheel bearings and brakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment